Cooking and Healthy Eating
Research shows kids who participate in growing the food are more likely to eat and try different varieties of fruits and vegetables
Tasting is big part of the gardening process and excites the kids the most. Children can be taught many concepts while tasting the produce they grow in their own garden beds. Over the years we have offered simple and easy to make things like “Herb infused waters” to more complex “Egg Muffins” and they love them all and few of them wanting seconds. By far the most favorite and popular item is to make and eat Kale chips.
One of the second-grade classes made egg muffins using the Becker Chicken Coop (link to https://www.beckerelementary.com/chicken-coop)eggs, collard greens from the garden and cheddar cheese. Through this process, the second graders learned:
- Patience to wait till they had enough eggs for the whole class.
- Harvesting the greens they help grow.
- Taking turns to wash the collard greens.
- Hypothesizing the size of each leaf and confirming with actual measurements.
- Improvising by shredding the leaves with their hands instead of knives.
- Fine Motor Skills by cracking eggs for their muffins.
- Mathematical concepts of measurements and learning about ingredients and recipe steps.
- Safety through the whole cooking process.
Make a Donation Today
Make a one time or recurring donation in any amount using our secure donor form.
Giving By Check
Prefer to send your donation by check? Make it out to The Becker Green Classroom and mail to 1701 Briar St. Austin, TX 78704 Please include a note with your name, address and phone or email so, we can send a thank you and tax receipt.
How Donations Are Used
The goals of our Donation programs are to raise funds for our operating costs, awareness about our incredible garden, and to increase volunteer involvement so that all children at our school can have the opportunity to participate.
1701 Briar St, Austin TX 78704