“The simple act of gardening can help children explore the natural world and even combat nature deficit disorder.”
Gardening engages all senses. It gives an opportunity to teach children where their food comes from and in turn enables them to make healthy food choices as they enjoy sampling the produce from their own gardens. We grow vegetables, flowers and some fruits either from seed or through transplants and use organic gardening techniques by using compost, mulch, planting seasonal vegetables and using benefical insects for pest control. Through this the children to learn:
- Plant Lifecycle – Some vegetables are started from seed if so sometimes the students tend to them in classroom until they are ready to be transplanted. As we compost onsite the plants that bolt are thrown into the compost pile to decompose when we are ready to plant for the next season.
- Bugs – Because we don’t use pesticides we talk a lot about good and bad bugs and sometimes bring ladybugs so they can feast on the aphids.
- Seasonal Vegetables – We plant what is in season which teaches children which vegetables prefer warm weather and which vegetables grow in cold weather.
- Patience – Some plants take weeks if not months to harvest. The children practice patience and restraint and wait for the produce to be harvested and eaten.
- Sharing – Sometimes the excess produce is shared with other classes, teachers and chickens.
- Caring – Caring for tender seeds and plants and feeding the overgrown produce to the chickens in the school chicken coop. They also cover their plants with blankets when there is a freeze
Make a Donation Today
Clicking any of our donation buttons will take you directly to The Becker Green Classroom PayPal account. We also accept donations and payments via Venmo @GreenClassroom-Treasurer
Giving By Check
Prefer to send your donation by check? Make it out to The Becker Green Classroom and mail to 1701 Briar St. Austin, TX 78704 Please include a note with your name, address and phone or email so, we can send a thank you and tax receipt.
How Donations Are Used
The goals of our Donation programs are to raise funds for our operating costs, awareness about our incredible garden, and to increase volunteer involvement so that all children at our school can have the opportunity to participate.
1701 Briar St, Austin TX 78704