Parts of a Plant
Tags: Class Ideas, All-Seasons, Outdoor, Pre-k, kinder, 1st grade, Fall, Anytime, parts of a plant
Time : 45 mins
|Greeting and Review||
|Good bye||1 minute|
ACTIVITY 1: Parts of a Plant
- Have students sit on the floor in front of you or you could do this outside if weather permits.
- Ask, “Can we eat a whole plant?”
- Read Plants Feed Me by Lizzy Rockwell or Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens.
- Say, “Today we are going to eat all the parts of a plant.”
- Have students move to tables where they will have different fruit, vegetables and seeds ready to construct their plant.
- Help them identify which parts of a plant are on their plate before they begin. Have students make a plant using these items. It is helpful for younger grades to have a drawing of a plant they can use as a guide, as shown here.
- Check for understanding by having the student explain which part of the plant they are eating.
Encourage students to raise their hand and ask questions if they are unsure about something.
ACTIVITY 2 : Work in the garden
- Use this time to water and weed the garden as necessary.
CLEANUP & GOODBYE (Include Cleanup and Goodbye)
- Put all tools and supplies back.