Tags: Class Ideas, All-Seasons, Outdoor, Indoor, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, Bees
Time: 60 mins (This can be divided into 2 to 3 classes. Or choose a few activities).
Author: The Bee Cause and Whole Kids Foundation (https://www.thebeecause.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/bee-cause-6-week-bee-unit-complete-guide.pdf)
|Greeting and Intro to Lesson||
|Activity 1 (10 min)||
|Activity 2 (20 min)||
|Activity 3 (20 min)||
|External References||Honey bee landing zone video:
The alarm pheromone
It is a good idea to split the class into smaller groups and rotate activities, if possible.
INTRODUCTION: DISCUSS PRELIMINARY MATERIAL
- Walking feet only. (No running in the garden.)
- Stay on the pathways and stepping stones. (No stepping in the planting beds.)
- No climbing in the herb planters
- Listen in a respectful way.
- Stay with your teacher.
ACTIVITY 1: Inside the beehive (01a_InsideTheHive_IntroNotes.pdf)
- Ask questions (from pg 6):
Who has seen a honey bee?
Has anyone heard stories or seen movies about bees?
Has anyone ever seen a queen bee?
- Share fun facts about bees (pg 6)
ACTIVITY 2 : Become a Beehive (01b_InsideTheHive_BecomeABeehive.pdf)
- Read the Magic School Bus (also available in Spanish)
- Follow instructions in handout
- Show students the worker bee chart.
- Tell the students you are going to turn the class into a bee hive. Follow instructions on the handout. (Also use the comparison chart 01b_InsideTheHIve_BecomeABeehive_ho1.pdf)
ACTIVITY 3: Pheromones Experiment (01c_InsideTheHive_Pheromones.pdf)
- Bees use smells to communicate. Discuss; watch pheromones video; watch nasonov video.
- Follow instructions on handout. Materials are available in Green Classroom. Please notify supplies committee when running low on supplies.
CLEANUP & GOODBYE (Include Cleanup and Goodbye)
- Wrap up class.
The Bee Cause: https://www.thebeecause.org/resources/
Whole Kids Foundation