Inside A Bee Hive
Tags: Class Ideas, All-Seasons, Outdoor, Indoor, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, Bees
Time: 60 mins (Use a combination of activities for a 30 min class).
|Greeting and Review||Start in the usual way|
|Main Lesson||Talk about the different bees that live in hive and the different stages of the worker bees life.|
|Activity 1 (10 min, est.)||Ask questions (from pg 6): Share fun facts about bees (pg 6)|
|Activity 2 (20 min, est.)||Read the Magic School Bus (also available in Spanish)Convert the class into a bee hive by assigning bee roles. Follow instructions in handout|
|Activity 3 (20 min, est.)||Pheromone experiment.|
|Cleanup||None (Allow 5-8 mins for any cleanup)|
|Goodbye||2-3 minutes to say goodbye|
|External References||Honey bee landing zone video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snltgg02e30&feature=youtu.be|
Nasonov gland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkAVggQBTG0
The alarm pheromonehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwZnQm4qLgM
|Worksheets(Please email the worksheet separately)||01a_InsideTheHive_Intro.pdf|
|Additional Resources||Refer to Whole Kids Inside the Hive web page for cool visuals and additional videos and images.|
It is a good idea to split the class into smaller groups and rotate activities, if possible.
INTRODUCTION: DISCUSS PRELIMINARY MATERIAL
ACTIVITY 1: Inside the beehive (01a_InsideTheHive_IntroNotes.pdf)
1. Ask questions (from pg 6):
Who has seen a honey bee?
Has anyone heard stories or seen movies about bees?
Has anyone ever seen a queen bee?
2. Share fun facts about bees (pg 6)
ACTIVITY 2 : Become a Beehive (01b_InsideTheHive_BecomeABeehive.pdf)
- Part One:
- Read the Magic School Bus (also available in Spanish)
- Follow instructions in handout
- Show students the worker bee chart.
- Tell the students you are going to turn the class into a bee hive. Follow instructions on the handout. (Also use the comparison chart (01b_InsideTheHIve_BecomeABeehive_ho1.pdf)
ACTIVITY 3: Pheromones Experiment (01c_InsideTheHive_Pheromones.pdf)
- Bees use smells to communicate. Discuss; watch pheromones video; watch nasonov video.
- Follow instructions on handout. Materials are available in Green Classroom. Please notify supplies committee when running low on supplies.
CLEANUP & GOODBYE (Include Cleanup and Goodbye)
- Wrap up class.
The Bee Cause: https://www.thebeecause.org/resources/